The internet has changed the world and blogging and social media has changed the internet. It is hard to imagine doing business nowadays without using the internet and just about everybody expects a decent company, whether it’s big or small, to have it’s own website.
So business owners started hiring website designers to create their corporate websites and in time it became the norm. But corporate websites are “cold” places to be on the web. It’s the digital version of walking into an office with desks and staff around.
But people (yes, that’s us) want more. We want to know more about what’s going on with the company that we’re dealing with. We don’t just want to know about the product, all of a sudden, we also wanted to know the culture behind the business.
And that’s why your business needs to have a blog. In fact, your business can survive without a corporate website as long as it has a blog.
Here are my top 5 the reasons why:
- Blogging is personal. Heck, the first blogs were actually just sites filled with the owner’s rants.
- Blogging is informal. Imagine blogging as doing business in casual clothing as opposed to being in a suit.
- Blogging is fun. You can post anything on your business blog (as long as it’s related to your company). You can talk about the unique way one of your customers used your products or just tell the everybody about the company Christmas party.
- Blogging is interacting. Gone are the guestbook’s of old. Today’s blogs allow your readers to actually post feedback for each blog post you write. This also encourages interaction among your readers.
- Blogging increases trust. The more you update your blog, the more people know about your company and your business. The more they know, the more they trust. And you know what often follows after trust.
- Blogging builds relationship. A blog is a great venue for building relationship. You write a blog post and people post comments. Then you comment back, then somebody else comments, then yet another comments on someone else’s comment and so on.
- Blogging is cheap. Yes, that’s important. Traditional corporate websites can cost thousands of dollars and that does not include updates. Blogging on the other hand is way cheaper than that. In fact it’s so cheap anybody can do it!
The list goes on and on. Blogging is so effective that small and large companies like all over the world now make use of it.
What about you? Do you have a blog for your business?